Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What a GREAT idea!

Shortly after Dave and I transplanted our family to Eagle Mountain, my brilliant sister, Melanie (turns out she's older AND smarter), came up with a simply fabulous idea, and four and a half years later, we've hardly missed a week. Her idea? Date night of course. The arrangement is simply wonderful in every possible way, so if you're prone to jealousy ... consider yourself warned.

Every other weekend Dave and I get a date night on Friday night, and as of the last year or so, it includes a sleepover for the kids until 9:00 Saturday morning. So, twice a month, we are kid-free for approximately 17 hours, and we can do WHATEVER WE WANT. Sometimes we go out with friends and sometimes we go alone, but we always have fun.

So these pictures are from one of our "there are no good movies playing and it is too cold for a bike ride or tennis" dates and guess what happens when there are no good movies playing and it is too cold to be outside? We spent nearly $300 on groceries, a new coat for Dave, new shoes for Dave, new pants for me, books, Christmas presents, treats, etc. Movies are only $16 and biking and tennis are free. What the heck?!!

Sometimes Dave isn't off work or done flying by the time I drop off the kids, so then I get a few hours alone shopping before date night even starts. Awesome. So we get to go to dinner (we have to eat - right?) at a place without a playground or nuggets or little juice boxes. This last weekend we picked Chili's for one of Dave's typical "bigger than my head" hamburgers with bacon and a whole bunch of other junk on it, and I ordered some seemingly harmless chicken dish with tomatoes and cilantro that was really good, but then there was this weird gristle thing in the chicken, and that was the end of that ... So, Dave, as usual, was regretting his menu choice before we made it home, and mine came home in a to-go box for him to reheat for lunch. No surprises there. And did you know Chili's is now charging $2.99 for their FREE chips and salsa? When did that happen?

Anyway, we love movies, so we usually go to a movie after dinner, but sometimes shopping, tennis, biking, and coming up in two weeks, the Celine Dion concert that Dave bought me tickets for last year for Christmas (yeah!!!). Of course, like any other couple in their 30's with four kids, we almost always stop by Wal-Mart or Smiths or some other highly functional store like that in the middle of the night for things like garbage bags or toilet paper. We are kind of night owls when it comes to date night. I think our record is like 2:30 a.m. or so. I can't believe we can even stay up that late anymore. It is kind of fun to be out like teenagers again, and when you can sleep in until 9:00 ... why not? This last Saturday I had a spinning class at 7:00 in the morning, so we didn't stay out too late, but we still had a great time.




So the flip side is that every other Friday night I have nine kids at my house which includes 8 boys ranging in age from 11 to 1 and 1 firecracker little 5-year-old girl who holds her own just fine. Since we got the Wii, the older four are taken care of, and it turns out, when left to their own devices, they will play that thing for six hours straight (we tried it). They barely took a break for food or drink. I don't get it. Since we started the sleepover program, baby Dallin is in bed by 7:00, Chase and T.J. are down at 8:00, London and Cameron are in bed by 8:30, Austin, Jackson, Colby, and Landon are down at 9:00, and the rest of the night is ours (Cafe Rio and a Redbox movie). Could this get any cooler?!!
Posted by Picasa

20 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

Yeah, it can definitely get cooler. I have a mother in law who comes out every Friday and babysits for free! We stay out as late as we want. No pesky extra kids. And she generally cleans our house in some way or does some laundry. I can sleep in as long as I want the next day too. Sounds like Mel isn't as smart as you thought!!

Aaron said...

I am jealous.

I miss my girlfriend, she has been replaced by my kids mother.

Mindy said...

Yep... I am VERY jealous! We rarely go out on dates. We tried to set up the whole trading date night thing with Brett's brother and his wife, but he told us he didn't move back to Utah to watch our kids. Nice brother, huh? He's missing out! (And so are we, unfortunately.) You are Dave make a cute couple!

Katelin said...

Okay, that's it. We're moving back right now!! :o) The sleepover part really clinches it, huh? That's awesome!

Melissa said...

Kelly,
That is so weird. You guys have a date night every Friday night and we've never been invited to come hang with you. What?!!! I always knew you were spoiled.

Aaron,
Don't worry ... I'm sure you can find someone to trade with you. Oh wait ... you might have passed that mark a few kids ago. Find some responsible person you just met and don't tell them you have seven kids. Drop them off quickly (send some through the back door). Then just turn off your phones and have a great time. You'll just have to find someone new every week ... good luck.

Mindy,
Thanks, and remind me to tell Brett's brother that he's lame next time I see him.

Katelin,
I could have sworn I've been begging you to move back for YEARS!!! :) Miss you!

Thomas Family said...

Jealous? Definitely!!

Dangerous? Absolutely!! When my husband and I go shopping without the kids...the monetary total racks up substantially.

Relief? Oh yeah! I was glad to hear you go to places like Walmart on your dates. For the longest while, I thought we were the only ones lame enough to do that. Whew...we are not the only onew!

That is a great tradition you started. You gals are awesome!!

Paula said...

I'm still jealous, even though my kids are old enough to leave at home, I get phone calls all night. How nice to have uninterrupted time.

You look great in those pictures.

Actually I don't know why we have never had nights out together with our husbands...I'm jealous about that one also.

Big Daddy said...

I'm not jealous. Lisa and I go out every weekend and don't have to trade! But hey that is the perks of having a 15 year old. Maybe some day you will be so lucky.

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

James - Yeah ... I'll be old like you soon enough. Just wait until Kenneth gets a social life (i.e., dating) and then what will you do? Adam I guess. You guys do have a good set-up there. Someday, I'll be lucky like you ... hopefully I'll still remember how to spell then. :)

Paula - Thanks! I agree that is weird (and so lame) that we've never gone out as couples. Let's fix that soon!

K'neth S. said...

ya well, i have to be the one to babysit. they get free babysitting service and i am stuck doing nothing of particular interest. it isn't fun for me. can't wait to be able to say "NOPE". and do something fun on my friday night.

Nicki said...

You look great in those pictures...and all that shopping for UNDER $300? You're amazing! Does Dave fully appreciate your shopping talents? We're getting so excited to see you!!! (and also so jealous of the overnight babysitting thing...what would it be like for BOTH of us to sleep in?)

Melissa said...

Kenneth,
So if you're mom and dad aren't paying you, how about coming to tend over here, and I'll PAY YOU and you can eat whatever you want and play the Wii all night. How does that sound?

Kelly Hill said...

It's so cute how you think we're close enough friends to actually "hang out" together. It made me snicker.

Cassie said...

Date night...what a novel idea!!! I thought we were gonna start to actually have a life again now that Jackson's old enough to babysit, but then Bright came and through a wrinkle in our plans. Kids! Maybe Mindy and I will have to trade...although I would be getting the better deal since I'd only get her 3 and she'd have to take 5.

Cassie said...

OK...so I can't spell...or I don't know my homonyms (or whatever they're called). I meant, "then Bright came and "threw" a wrinkle in our plans," not through. I think I've been reading James' blog too long.

Mindy said...

Cassie, I would totally go for that! Your kids keep my kids entertained. Poor Jackson though... no one his age to hang out with.

JBarker said...

Sounds like you've got a good system. Work it! Bethany and I go out several times a month but we don't keep track of how often. It just happens when one or the other feels like scheduling a babysitter. And we did the shopping excursion this weekend too. I can't wait for Christmas!

K'neth - There are ways to "repay" your dad for making you babysit free of charge. For example, the day he's put in a senior center, tie him to a chair (including his legs), slip off his shoes and socks, and then tickle them until he cries! You might need to tip the chair on it's back once he's tied to it because his legs are so long.

Adie Mitchell said...

Sounds like so much fun!! Those date nights are well deserved!! Your hair is darling!! Haven't seen you in awhile, what has it been 2 years or so? Hope all is well. Your sweet little family is growing up fast!! Darling Boys. Your youngest looks like Brady!! Cute Blog-Haven't quite decided if I can do the whole BLOG thing yet? Would I be addicted? Have a great week!! LYG-Adie

Melissa said...

Hey thanks Adie! It has been a really long time. I think you should definitely start a blog. I'm sure Krust would come over and get you started. I wasn't sure I'd like it, but I really do, and let's face it ... I'm not exactly keeping any other kind of "journal." It is a great way to keep in touch. I hope you and your family are doing well. I'm sure your kids are growing up too fast just like mine. Time is just going by too quickly.