Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween Week 2008

I'm not exactly sure when Halloween turned into a week-long celebration dripping with sugar. I suppose it was around the time that Christmas started in August. All I know is we have been Halloween partying for a week straight, and even a little before that. My kids had their fun Halloween party with Grandma and Grandpa Morton and the Webbs a few weeks ago, and that helped a lot to spread things out ... everything else was in the last 5 days. We had a Leatherwood family Halloween party Monday night. Dave and I went as Storm and Professor X from the X-Men (picture above).

We had a ward Trunk-or-Treat on Wednesday night, the school Halloween carnival Thursday night, a Trick-or-Treat Street in Pleasant Grove with the Webbs, Grandma and Grandpa Morton, and Grandma and Grandpa Tischner (what a fun surprise!) on Friday, another Trunk or Treat at the Grove Ward building in Pleasant Grove, and of course Trick or Treating Friday night. WOAH!

We let the four older boys go trick or treating on their own for a while, and they really "covered some ground" according to them without having to wait for the "old people." How rude. Dave and I stayed home and played Settlers of Catan with Melanie and Jason. It was our first time playing that game (I know, you're all shocked), and I think we got the hang of it. We'll have to play again sometime ...


So it turns out, with all of these events, we have a RIDICULOUS amount of candy. So, we're sticking with our trick of years past and stashing a bunch (2 gallon-size Ziploc bags full) of chocolate for their Christmas stockings. SSHHHHH. Don't tell. They'll never notice. Are you kidding me?!! I can't believe how much candy they have. Keep in mind, these bowls in the picture above are the biggest bowls I have. Hello?!!!


Dave didn't feel a bit bad amout scaring his poor little old patients all day with his scary mask and rotten teeth and hair. He works in a skilled nursing facility, so scaring someone "to death" is actually a valid concern. He loves Halloween. In fact, he's worse than the kids. So, I made the mistake of letting him go to the costume store alone, and this is what happened. Mental note to self, never again. Grandma Tischner apparently wasn't too scared. She's braver than me. I didn't go near him all day. That get-up gives me the creeps.




For the first time ever, the kids each picked one Halloween costume each and wore it to all corresponding Halloween events this year. Usually, we have a couple of switches at least during the week (i.e., Cinderella to a Power Ranger to a Cow Girl in three day's time last year). My kids really love to dress up, and they use their costumes year round, so I don't mind getting costumes for Halloween. However, it turns out Austin and Jackson's costumes were ridiculously expensive, so I only offered to pay half. They gladly turned over $16 each of their own allowance for these costumes. That is more than a month's worth. You can tell that they love them. We have a massive dress-up box downstairs that gets well used all year round by my kids and anyone else's kids who come over. I guess we'll just add these to the collection.




So I have to admit that I don't really like Halloween. In fact, I quite dislike. I don't like anything creepy, bloody, scary, gross, etc. I can't stand violence or gore at all. So, Halloween is not my thing. I happened to marry someone who LOVES Halloween and LOVES dressing up and LOVES scaring people, etc. and all my kids inherited this LOVE from Dave, so here I am. I do love seeing how much they love it, and I supposed that's enough for me.

8 comments:

Mindy said...

You and Dave are awesome as Storm and Professor X! Great costumes! Did you wear those to Rachel's party and win the award?

Wow, you really did have a busy week! I think we're going to have our hands full in Primary today... all those kids loaded with sugar. Good times. ;)

Melissa said...

We didn't end up going to Rachel's party. We stayed at the Stocks all night. What did you guys end up doing?

Cassie said...

How fun are you guys?!!! I'm not that into Halloween now, but I loved dressing up as a kid. I'm trying to convince Kenny that we need to be something cool for next year. I told him I thought we should be the Wonder Twins and let Bright be Gleek, the monkey. He's not too excited about that...he always thought the Wonder Twins were worthless...I guess I have a year to figure out something else!

Katelin's family said...

How did you do that to your hair? It actually looks really cool! Maybe I should go that color next... You all rock, and I want you and Dave to convince Jared to do something for next year, because I think it's fun! Wish we could be there to party with you! Oh, by the way, we have gotten totally addicted to Settlers of Catan, so we'll have to play next time we get together! That is, if you don't mind losing... :o)

Melissa said...

Katelin,
It is just spray-on white hair dye that I got from Partyland. Sprays on and washes right out. It was kind of fun. I actually don't like dressing up, but Dave is pretty persuasive so I usually relent once a year. It's not my thing, but it is fun to see how much he loves it. We'll have to play Settlers when we come out again ... Jake turns 30 next year right? I think Mel and I are planning on coming out. Too bad neither of them was born at a "good weather" time of year. We might have to do his half-birthday or something. We'll see ...

K'neth S. said...

those are some amazing costumes, i should have gone trick or treating just to see you guys!!! Too bad our family doesn't get into Halloween like that! Brother Leatherwood and Sister Leatherwood looked the best!!! but the kids looked great too!

Katelin's family said...

Hey, Lis, you should come just a few weeks before Jakes bday, because usually October is pretty good. It sure was nice this October anyway, and it has totally gone winter now. Anyway, wish we could come out for Thanksgiving, but maybe next time! When is the next Disney trip--I'd love to do that!--Katelin

Melissa said...

Katelin, If you guys want to try for Disneyland next year, we're in. We've never been with you guys. That would be awesome!

October sounds good to me. We'll plan on it. Unless we want to do Disneyland in November (I love it all decorated for Christmas!) and invite the whole gang ... hmmmm. That might go to Jake's head though if he thought we were taking 25 people to Disneyland for his birthday. Maybe we better separate the two. Two vacations sounds good to me!