Tuesday, November 18, 2008

It's About Time

So, this picture means a couple of things. First of all, I was alone, so it means that I asked a total stranger to take my picture on my cell phone in front of a Maverick gas station just for your benefit. Second of all, since I started this bike ride at my house and I never left the paved trail, it means the trail from the city center to the Ranches is officially connected after YEARS of wondering why on earth this city insists on paving the trails in little unconnected sections all over the place and then just taunts us with the prospect of a completed trail. So anyway, it is done, finally, and our family is taking advantage of it for sure. I rode to Maverick once by myself with the company of London's new iPod and a new workout mix. And no I didn't buy a 5-year-old an iPod. She saved up her own $50 and bought it herself. Well she goes to school for three hours a day, and she can share - right?

Our family went for a ride on Saturday. London is finally big enough to keep up pretty well on her little pink Barbie bike with streamers flying out from the handle bars, so T.J. had the bike trailer all to himself. He was happy about that for sure. He just spends the whole ride yelling at whoever is pulling him to go faster. See, we don't need a personal trainer. T.J. yells at us for free.

I rode to the Chevron in the Ranches with my friend Peggy yesterday, and I had to pull T.J. in the trailer. Wow! That is a tough ride pulling 60 pounds behind me. It was a great workout. Unfortunately it was also a little slower than anticipated and I was late picking up London from school. Whoops. So I like that trail heading into The Ranches because it is such a great workout. It goes up and down the whole way and is a good interval workout (and if you think it is too easy, come pick up T.J. and pull him along). Anyway, we're excited about this trail, and it has been fun to see it come to completion. So if you're ever wanting to go for a bike ride around 9:30 in the morning, you know where to find me.

20 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

You look so cute in a bike helmet!

Whu??!?

Oh, right.... YOU AREN'T WEARING ONE!

Melissa said...

Whoops. I mean ... I took it off for the picture. Yeah. That's it.

Busted.

Aaron said...

Yeah right, I think you just threw the bike in the van and drove up there to look cool.

Melissa said...

Take it back Aaron. Come on... I'm even all sweaty. I'm glad we can at least agree that I look cool.

Melissa said...

What the matter Kelly? Did you just go for your "walk?"

Kelly Hill said...

YES, I did.... three hours ago! Wanna make somethin' of it??!? I dare you. No, I double-dog dare you.

Melissa said...

I triple dog dare you to come take that ride with me. Come on ... it'll be fun. We can stop by Maverick for a treat before we ride back. I'm buying. You and Mel can come.

Kelly Hill said...

1) You have no idea what you're getting yourself into when you offer to buy me a "treat." You're messin' with something you don't quite grasp the concept of just yet.

B) I'll drive!! What time do you want me to pick you up?

Mindy said...

I'm excited about the trail, too! Before the trail was done I rode up to Unity Pass, but it was such a pain because I was riding in gravel on the shoulder most of the way.

I would love to go with you, but I would seriously slow you down. My bike is not great (and neither is my endurance, by the way). I hope to someday be as tough as you!

Thomas Family said...

You go girl! You definintely look cool. But, I am with Kelly. You NEED to wear a helmet. Plus, I am sure you would look smashing in one!

Bike Junkie said...

I'll stick to the road. The trail is for joggers and slower people on bikes.

Bike Junkie said...

And for a *real* workout, you need to ride to the Maverick - in Lehi.

Melissa said...

Kendall, I may be wrong here, but I think you might be mocking me. Is that right? So not cool man.

K'neth S. said...

Sure, everyone criticizes her for not wearing a helmet or of being a liar. is there anyone that said- wow!!! that is an accomplishment!!! Good Job. the few that did, good job too you too! but i'll also congratulate you sister leatherwood.
Congratulations!!! that is a huge accomplishment, good job! :-)

Melissa said...

Kenneth is my new favorite person.

JBarker said...

Congratulations! I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the Maverick and beyond in my car but I have yet to try it on a bike. :)

What was in your workout mix from your daughter's iPod? Little Purple Pansies? Do As I'm Doing? or maybe Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star? Or does she prefer music that's more inline with her mom's tastes?

Bike Junkie said...

I'm just kidding you. That is a great accomplishment. Way to go!

Kelly Hill said...

Kendall - YOU CAVED!!!! Never cave! Man, you're a lightweight.

Kenneth sounds a bit like a schmoozer. Nice boy, but where's the humor? It's all about humor.

Melissa - do people really still not know the real you? The super-sarcastic, bratty you??!? What can we do about that?

Krista said...

Yes, Sister Leatherwood, I would also like to congratulate you!

Seriously, look at you all skinny! You are kickin butt and I'm so impressed Meliss! I'm even more impressed that you asked some stranger to take your pic in front of Maverick!

Love yoU!

Katelin said...

Very cool! Congrats! Hey, I've started "training" for a 5k--hey, stop laughing!! No, seriously, I got a treadmill and am actually enjoying it, but I'll have to try biking sometime, huh? Sounds like the scenery would be better for sure.