Monday, November 24, 2008

What a Bummer!

This past Friday Dave and I were supposed to be at the Celine Dion concert. I have been wanting to see Celine in concert for approximately 15 years. Dave bought me tickets to her World Tour concert last year for Christmas. He totally surprised me. I had no idea, and it was a great surprise. I am really hard to surprise, so he deserves a lot of credit, and I was so excited to go. Way to go honey!

Unfortunately, Celine developed a throat infection last week and had to postpone her concert date in Utah to February 22nd. If you check your calendar, you'll see that February 22nd is a Sunday. Needless to say, I am not very happy about this whole thing. At first I was not too sure what she was thinking scheduling a Sunday concert in Utah, but then I realized it unfortunately will probably not affect the concert much at all. It wasn't an issue for us, and I'm glad about that because that would not have always been the case. So we're returning the tickets and getting our money back, but no concert. What a bummer.

The concert cancellation did bring about one good thing. When I first heard it was postponed to a Sunday, Dave and I already knew what we'd be doing and I was in a really really bad mood. But Dave had a teaching moment in mind, so we talked to Austin, Jackson, and London about our situation. They knew I'd been looking forward to the concert and they both felt really bad for me. It was kind of touching actually that they were so sad for me. So Dave asks them what they thought we should do and if we should still go even on a Sunday, and right then a "Hallelujah" parent moment came shining through. We heard things from them like "You'll feel bad if you go because you know it's not right" and "Heavenly Father will bless you if you keep the Sabbath Day holy" and "You'll be choosing the right even though you'll be sad about the concert." I was so happy and so relieved and so grateful that they'd heard and understood what we had taught them and that they truly understood the principle even when it came to giving up something that is really wanted. It is so hard to tell if they are even listening let alone if they could actually apply the principle and understand the reasoning behind it. So I am missing a concert I've waited 15 years for, but I know that my children understand the importance of keeping the Sabbath Day holy. That's a sacrifice I can handle.


So instead on Friday, we went to Twilight with Bret and Paula. Someone at Dave's work had rented out an entire theater and was just selling the tickets on her own. She had a few extras as of Friday morning, so we decided to go. It is no secret that I'm not much of a Twlight fan. The whole vampire thing is just not for me, and there is a bunch of other goofy stuff that I didn't like about the book.

Anyway, I thought the movie was pretty good. I liked it better than the book (Dave says that is just because it didn't take as long, and he might have a point ...) . I didn't love the movie, but I definitely didn't hate it. I won't spoil it for you, but if you haven't seen it in the next couple of months or so, I'm not sure I'll be able to hold back on the stuff I want to make fun of. If you are a die hard Twilight lover, you'll probably love the movie. I can say I was entertained, even if it was by a vampire love story. Yikes. We went to Applebee's for dinner afterwards and met up with Greg and Stephanie. We had a great time at dinner and laughed so hard. The evening ended up being really fun, and I even forgot about the concert for a while. Oh well.

12 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

The fact that the decision was a no-brainer for you proves what an amazing character you both have. I'm proud to call you friend.

(is this the first time ever I wasn't sarcastic with you??!?)

Paula said...

Wow, I'm almost more impressed with Kelly's response then with the reaction your kids had to keep the sabbath day holy. Nice Kelly.

The movie was actually fun, I'm glad I saw it with someone who isn't psycho about the books.

I will only mention one thing that seriously bothered me about the movie...Could they have done a worse make-up job on the vampires???

JBarker said...

Celine Dion? What!?! Wait a minute. I know what happened. Dave bought you a few tickets probably hoping you'd take your sister or a friend but it backfired and you committed him to going with you. So he did the only thing he could do and called on a Higher Power for deliverance! Dave, you're a genius! No. You're an inspired genius! Plus you got the chance to teach your children about keeping the Sabbath day holy. Awesome!

Mindy said...

That's the kind of thing that will come to mind for your kids someday when they have a difficult decision to make. Way to go!

Melissa said...

JBarker - you are in big trouble.

Kelly Hill said...

I do have a nice side once in a while, which is hard for most people to understand since I'm generally all about sarcasm.

I'll try to be nicer once in a while.

Melissa said...

Kelly - I'm so proud of you. Going for walks and taking a break from sarcasm. What will you think of next? Way to go girl.

Aaron said...

Sooooo, let me get this straight.

Keep the Sabbath Day holy and go bathe in the blood of vampires and young lust.

Sounds good I guess.

Maybe you should go see Twilight on Sunday and compromise.

(I kid....I kid....)

Krista said...

What sweet kids you have. I know you and Dave are raising them right!

As for Twilight...I would personally love to hear what things you have to say about it. Please...mock away!

Big Daddy said...

Sorry about the concert. We will have someone step in for her at Anderson Idol next year.

As for Twilight, I didn't hate it but I did think that Edward looked gay.

Brett said...

I agree with Jason on this one. He nailed it! Great teaching moment tho!!!!!

SmallAdventures said...

Melissa you ROCK!!!!