Monday, August 4, 2008

Very Cool

We heard about this very cool DVD player called ClearPlay from Melanie and Jason. It edits movies, and it will literally take EVERYTHING out. Honestly, I had my doubts about how we would like it, but it seems like every movie out there has "something" in it these days. How annoying. With our boys getting older and wanting to watch more "family" movies instead of "kid" movies, we have been taken by surprise several times with movies Dave and I had watched (and loved) as kids or had seen recently and thought would be fine. Unfortunately, once we sit down as a family to watch them, we realize we simply had not remembered the swearing or "that one scene" and it becomes a mad dash to turn off the TV or give instructions on not using that "word" under any circumstances and especially not at church, in front of grandma, etc. It was just not worth it anymore. So we got one ($60 at Seagull Book and Tape) and ... WE LOVE IT!

So far, we've seen five movies on it, and we're hooked. It is so nice to not have to worry about naughty words or scenes or violence or really anything. You download the filters off the ClearPlay website onto a little USB drive and then just stick that right into the DVD player. You can pick how strong you want the filter to be (maximum, medium, or low). It is choppy with some of the editing, but honestly I don't care. The editing is really thorough (from what we've seen so far), and really takes out everything questionable.

I can't tell you how nice it is to have movies all cleaned up and ready for family viewing. I love not having to worry about what the kids are seeing or hearing. I also love that it opens Dave and I up to a lot of movies we wouldn't normally watch. When you can edit all of the garbage out, there are lot more movies "available." So anyway, if you're considering getting one, we highly recommend it.

6 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

So can you really rent rated R movies now and they're just fine? There are so many I've wanted to see for years and years but can't. I never liked the way the local stores would edit them. I rented a couple and it was a cheesy sort of editing. You could still see them saying the words, etc. It's been a really long time though.

So, how does it take care of language or bad scenes? Does it delete them completely or what? And do you have to download something for each movie or just once?

I'm so excited!!

Unknown said...

Rheanna's parents have one too and they love it as well.

Melissa said...

Yep. We watched Charlie Wilson's War the other night, and it is a good movie. It was apparently rated R for language, nudity, and sex. We saw no nudity or sex and really couldn't even tell where it was cut out.

The language you can tell where it is cut out. Depending on where you have the filter set, they either cut out the whole sentence (so there is obviously a silent pause) or just the word. But unless they are looking right at the screen, you can't tell what they said.

It is definitely choppy in some places, like where a whole scene is removed, but it is worth it to me. I guess it depends on the movie. Charlie Wilson's War had a LOT of language in it, so there were a lot of little choppy bits, but you get used to it. It doesn't bother me I guess.

The ClearPlay player Melanie got came loaded with 2000 movies and she just has to download new ones. We just got ours last week and there were no filters on it. We just download the ones we want from their website, and it is like $7 a month or something. Pretty slick. The kids watched Short Circuit last weekend, and no one is cussing today. So I guess it is working.

Paula said...

My brother in law works for Clear Play, and I've been really wanting to watch The Atonement forever, so he let me borrow it, and I am going to get one. How much did you pay for 1 year membership to download movies?

Melissa said...

It came with a free month's membership, but I think it is like $7.95 for each month or something, so I'll probably just do that when it runs out. I saw Atonement too. That was the first movie I rented. What did you think of it?

Big Daddy said...

MOVIE NIGHT AT THE LEATHERWOODS! What do you suppose it would do with Porkys?