Sunday, August 24, 2008

Be Impressed


This post is totally out of order, and I promise I'll catch up on the last month or so later. I just have to share about our amazing bike ride yesterday. I realize some super bikers (Kendall - that's you) might be reading this, and they might even snicker a little, but I expect the rest of you to be impressed. Yesterday Dave took me on a 30-mile bike ride. Did you hear that ?!!! I rode a bike for 30 MILES. I know, you're all shocked. I understand. I am too. My record before that was nine miles, so that was a big jump for me, and I'm really happy about finishing and still being able to walk today. Really, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, and we had a great time riding together.

We started at Utah Lake and followed the Provo River up past the beautiful Bridal Veil Falls and on a couple more miles up to Vivian Park in Provo Canyon and then of course we rode back. It was a paved trail the whole way and a lot of it was in the shade (good thing since it was about 97 degrees when we started). I only had one near mishap with a Chinese guy who rode a motorized scooter into a tunnel under a road just as I was exiting the tunnel. The tunnels are barely wide enough for a bike rider to get through and definitely not made for scooters. He bumped my tire, but we both escaped without injury. That definitely scared the tar out of me. I was envisioning "death by scooter" there for a second. I guess he missed the sign about NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES ON THE TRAIL.

We really had a great time, and the trail was beautiful. I loved riding with Dave. He let me set the pace and we just talked and laughed and had a great time. Dave was all happy about being on a "real" bike ride together. I got it out of him on our way home that he had his doubts about how I'd do before taking that ride, but now he says he's impressed. Good thing.

So my goal is to be ready for the 67 mile ride from Thanksgiving Point around part of Utah lake next year and maybe the 111 mile ride all the way around Utah Lake after that .... we'll see.

10 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

We took that ride a couple of weeks ago. It was cake! Here's the scene: Kendall rode from Geneva Rd up to Vivian Park and then we all rode back down with him (the kids on bikes, me driving the getaway car). I kept telling them I'd follow along so that when one of the kids got too tired I would rescue them. They went the entire way without complaint. Me too. I think next time I'll push for a longer ride, I enjoyed the a/c and Coke and book!! Nothing like a good, long bike ride. ; )

Okay, now.... HOLY COW! I'm super duper impressed. I would have been even if you hadn't threatened me with the title of your post. That's a huge feat and you did awesome! Kendall is currently asleep but I'll be alerting him to this. He'll be very excited.

Please, I BEG you, don't do the lycra thing!! I don't care how cute and skinny minny you might be, it's DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!! Some things are meant to be private, especially people's "privates." Just say NO (to bike shorts).

Bike Junkie said...

Way to go! And that is said without any sarcasm whatsoever. 30 miles is impressive, especially when it more than triples your previous longest ride. I didn't realize Dave or you were cyclists. Did they have the trail open at Bridal Veil Falls? When we made that trip, they had the trail closed at Bridal Veil because of the fire at the lift house at the top of the falls. Again, congrats!
Kendall

Unknown said...

That is awesome! Way to go! Are you interested in doing a triathlon next summer? There are a bunch of us doing it. You and Dave would be an awesome addition.

Melissa said...

Kendall - Thanks! We just started biking recently, but I think I'm hooked. I sort of thought you might be crazy before with all your biking for hundreds of miles all the time, but now I'm thinking I understand. :) I really like it. I'm thinking about a road bike .... maybe for Christmas (don't tell Dave - I'll break it to him slowly or at some opportune moment that I want a much more expensive bike). You'll have to give us some tips on where the good rides are.

Melissa said...

Kelly - I agree. No bike shorts. I saw quite a few people wearing them on our ride who have no business wearing them. It was scary and a little distracting and gave me way too much fuel for mocking them (as if I need any help thinking of reasons to make fun of people). I have to admit I would wear a cycling jersey though - just because they are so breathable and cool, and I was so hot and sweaty (I know - nice visual) on our ride. I could get it a little baggy though - if you want :)

Kendall - The trail was open all the way to Vivian Park. We were thinking it would be closed at Bridal Veil Falls too since it has been for a month or so, but it was open. That last part of the ride is great too, so I was glad.

Melissa said...

Justin - How much of each event is the triathlon?

Unknown said...

The Jordanelle Triathlon is 1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike and 3 mile run. I need to do lots of practice on the swimming and get myself a bike.

Paula said...

Melissa, I'm impressed. Why is everyone getting so active?? I am way behind in my desire to bike 30 miles. Great job!

Big Daddy said...

I, like all your other readers, am impressed. But for me the car was invented for a reason. 100 miles on a car vs a bike hands down I'm in the car. Maybe if Lisa did it I would try.

Bike Junkie said...

Almost all of the roads around EM are great for riding. The cars give you plenty of room, and tend not to crowd. If you are in the SLC area, you can't beat Emigration Canyon or Wasatch blvd. Great views, and you will be out there with hundreds of your cycling friends - in lycra ready for your ridicule.