Friday, October 24, 2008

Genealogy Project

Austin has been talking about ancestors at school and was given an assignment to research one of his ancestors and make a poster about them. So thanks to our resident geneology expert (Grandma Tischner), we were able to trace our direct line back to William Bradford who sailed over on the Mayflower, helped write and then signed the Mayflower Compact, and was the governor of Plymouth Colony for over 30 years. He kept a detailed journal of the life of the pilgrims, including the first Thanksgiving, and it was later published into a book "Of Plymouth Plantation." Apparently most of what we know about pilgrim life comes from his writings. Pretty cool. So, here's the plug for geneology. You never know who you'll be related to 13 generations back, but whoever they are, I'm sure they have an interesting story.

I realize that is probably one of the more basic posters you've ever seen ... we're not really into fluff around here. But the cool part is the list on the bottom left hand corner of Austin's descendant line from William Bradford (see below). It is a direct line, and William Bradford is Austin's 13th great-grandfather. Go geneology! Austin was impressed that we are related to "somebody cool." I'm sorry but WHAT ABOUT ALL THE REST OF US?!! Chopped liver I guess.

William Bradford, Governor
William Bradford
Ephraim Bradford
Wealthy Bradford
Ira Hatch
Ira Stearns Hatch
Orin Hatch
Orin Perry Hatch
True Bradford Hatch
Ford Hatch
Geraldine Hatch Tischer
Holly Tischner Morton
Melissa Morton Leatherwood
Austin David Leatherwood

6 comments:

Mindy said...

MaKenna did her report on our ancestor, Isaac Allerton, who was also on the Mayflower! How cool is that?!? I like how you did Austin's "line" back to William Bradford.

I love that this project turned MaKenna's heart to her fathers. It was so fun to see her take an interest in her ancestor.

Thomas Family said...

That's pretty dang cool! Supposedly, my Banks line is related to Bloody Mary...is that cool? (I actually haven't seen it plotted out to see how direct it really is).

P.S. I love your new fall background. It is just lovely!!

Melissa said...

Hey thanks Sharon! Get busy on that geneology ... I'm anxious to hear on that whole Bloody Mary thing.

Katelin's family said...

Very interesting! Way to go, Austin (and Grandma:)

Kati said...

No way, that is so awesome!! We're like, famous and stuff! That is too cool, I didn't know that. Did I tell you how I discovered in my family history class several months ago that we have IRISH blood in us?!?! I was really super excited.

Cassie said...

Ashlynn loved doing her project too...she chose my dad. He was a big help with her project (she's probably knows more about him than I do) but he told her next time she needs to choose grandma! Haha

It's fun to see how into family history the kids are...If only I could be that motivated to continue with it!