Thursday, October 16, 2008

Finally


Our patio is finished .... finally. I'm not even sure when we started on this project, but I do know that it was before Jackson got baptized which was the first week of June. Yikes. We're so glad to have it done and really happy with how it turned out. We used the cement molds and then stained it, sealed it, and added sand. Thanks to borrowing a cement mixer and some free tutoring from Bishop Hibbert and the materials being relatively inexpensive, we were able to do a 10 x 13 foot patio for under $200. We were considering having it poured, but the outrageous cost was a deterrent (over $1000). I had originally wanted flagstone pavers just for the look, but it turns out those are approximately the same price as gold stones. Ridiculous. I love the look of these poured stones, and they almost look like flagstone now that they've been stained. Dave did most of the work pouring the cement and he did a great job. We're not exactly Mr. and Mrs. Home Improvement, so we're pretty impressed with the results and the fact that it was completed in under six months! It was fun to work on it together. The kids were so excited to help, and we are big fans of child labor. It is so nice to have it done and even better to be happy with the final result! We'll have to have you all over for a barbecue ...




Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

What time? And do you promise to have non-meatable items? And how much chocolate will be there? Will you have a comfy chair that I can fit in that won't stick to my buttocks upon standing? Can you promise that the weather will be an enjoyable 72 degrees? Do you allow fattys to slide and swing on your play set? Are you going to have soft blankets available when the sun goes down? Of the microfiber type? What will there be to drink? My favorite these days is Diet Coke. I like ice but it will have to be store-bought cubed ice, purchased the same day, or else it won't work. My teeth are sensitive so I'll need a straw. I like the black kinds like you can get at the Pizza Factory. Will you have plenty of stuff for each of my kids to do? Their ages vary quite a bit so there will have to be three different types of activities going on for each of them at all times. That's not a big deal is it? Could we have red napkins and plates and plastic wear? I love the color red. If you do something pastel like I just won't feel as good. You'd rather have me feeling at home, right? And comforted? Thanks. Red will be great. And what other people will be coming? I'm pretty particular about the people that I'll allow to show up at a party I'm invited to. Some of them just aren't funny enough. And let's be honest, some of them STINK!! Will there be karaoke? I love karaoke!! Well, not singing in front of people but making fun of other people singing in front of me. Did you ever get that jacuzzi? Can everyone leave the premises and let me sit in it for an hour or so alone? I'll call you when I'm done. Do you think I can bring some family members? They like a bbq. There will only be an additional 13 that I'll be bringing. And one of them WON'T be my mother!! I think the 13 of them plus the 5 of us should be able to get together and bring something. Maybe the ice since I don't trust you to buy it that very day. And do you happen to wear perfume? Could I ask you to kindly NOT the day I come over? I really hate that. B&BW lotion would be fine, but you should probably ask me about which scent will be acceptable the day before. Thanks.

I can't wait! Please call me as soon as it's set up. It sounds like it will be PERFECT!! I'm so excited.

Signed, Me... Only MANIC

PS. The patio is amazing! Way to go.

Aaron said...

uh...can you show me how to do mine?

Thomas Family said...

Looks fabulous!! Now you have to get some nice, comfy patio furniture to go with it...

Mindy said...

It looks fabulous!!! Will you teach us? ;)

Angie said...

I am really impressed Melissa! You guys did a great job! It looks like the kids had fun too. I know my boys are always such good helpers, especially when it involves paint!