Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Doing our part

We did our part .... the economy has been officially stimulated by the Leatherwoods. Thanks to G.W. Bush and the Economic Stimulus package of 2008, we took the plunge and bought a swing set. We've been wanting one for a really long time (Austin is almost 10), and have had our eye on the Costco set for several years, but honestly we hesitated .... mostly out of fear. I can't say we weren't intimidated (and a little nauseous) to see that it came in five six-foot long boxes, and one huge box of hardware, but our desperation for entertainment for the little ones prevailed.


Dave is my hero, and that is true for a lot of reasons, but this time it is for putting together a Costco swing set which, if you ask me, is worthy to be placed on his official resume. He worked so hard on this thing and spent countless hours (really that is true since we stopped counting at over 30 hours!) working late into the evening by the light of a lantern. It was cold that week too, and he was out there twice in the dark in the snow determined to finish. I was inside drinking hot chocolate. I'm not very good at putting together thousands of little parts, and I got fired from my post as "assistant" a few times. Dave did a good job being patient and methodical and sorting out all those pieces. I was cranky after the first two hours, and he just kept plugging along. Way to go Dave!

We are so glad that the kids absolutely LOVE the swing set. That would have been horrible to spend all that time and money and have them not be too interested. Thankfully, they never get off the thing. T.J. runs to the back door every morning and asks to go to the "park." It has a little sandbox underneath the fort, and he spends a good chunk of his day in there playing with his tractor and digging up all the little toy animals he buried the day before. London has learned how to pump herself on the swing, and she loves to push T.J. on the swings too - what a good job for a big sister. Austin and Jackson like running up the slide the wrong direction and sliding down on their head (go figure). The rock wall is a hit too. We're grateful that they're having a fun time on it, and we're so grateful to Dave for putting it together for us.


Thanks Daddy! You're the best!



I think I'm beginning to see why it took so long .....

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Rheanna said...

I Love It! When we get one does Dave want to put it together for us too? :o)

Kati said...

Oh wow, that is SO nice! That would be any kid's dream swing set. Man, I wanna play! Yay for having it all put together! (This is your sister Kati by the way... my blogger name is a little weird, gotta come up with a good alias, I'm all paranoid like that. ;-) )

Kelly Hill said...

A rock wall??!? I'm SO there! You remember you invited Kendall and I, right? In fact, I believe you said we'd be the first to play on it, but the pictures prove otherwise. C'mon! We'll bring our own snacks!!!!!

Nicki said...

Yea! We'll be over tomorrow for a playdate...I'm packin' the kids in the car. Too bad it would take my economic stimulus check and then some to pay for gas these days!

Krista said...

Wow, what a guy! That seriously looks like it would be an intense project. It looks like the kids are just loving it though. They're so cute!

Kelly Hill said...

Yeah, so, you did your part to stimulate the economy... whoopeeee! Now move on! You've been MIA for entirely too long! Give me something new to look forward to before I give up on you completely.

Btw, congrats to Jackson on his baptism! Man, do they ever grow up fast!

Melissa said...

Some people are so demanding.