Monday, July 2, 2012

Spring RECAP (Winter has been skipped)

We had an exciting and busy Spring around here. As usual, I have found it easier to just not think about Winter and move on with my life. I'm sure Winter was exciting too, but it was cold then, and I strongly prefer warm things. So, in May, Jackson turned 12 and was ordained a Deacon.



 Our family joined us for that day, and we had a nice time visiting and sharing Jackson's day with him.
 That suit looks kinda big on him, but he'll grow into it. He's been doing a great job passing the sacrament and helping to set up chairs (which he now understands is the most commonly called upon priesthood duty). So proud of you Jacks.
 For his birthday, Jackson had two requests: a flat-brimmed BYU hat and "cop" sunglasses. He's the pickiest of our kids BY FAR and NO we don't know where he gets his picky from. So he and I had a fun day shopping picking out some new clothes and sunglasses he wanted. We surprised him with a video game too. I can't believe he's 12 already. One more year, and I've got two teenagers in this house. BRING IT ON.


 London celebrated her birthday back in April and just HAD to have a Fijit friend which as far as I can tell does NOTHING useful, but she loves it. Clothes, girly stuff, and a new hat for my HAT-kind-of-girl.
I probably should have taken the ice cream cake all the way out of the box and at least pretended that I made it.
 She talked us into a friend party (no easy task considering I bribe heavily to avoid them). And we actually survived. She picked a movie party (courtesy of Alvin and the Chipmunks: Shipwrecked) complete  with popcicles, pizza, and soda.


 No fancy cakes around here. Cupcakes are the way to go.

 Jackson graduated from sixth grade. Way to go Jacks! The pictures from that night were so funny. In the one above, he got an award for academic excellence, and if you'll notice, he's the only boy up there. All girls and my boy (his father was so proud).
 Eventually another boy was called up there to receive his award. Of course, it HAD to be Landon, and does Landon go to the END of the line? Umm ... No. He buts right in there in the middle with Jackson and what do they do??? Same thing they ALWAYS do .... TALK!!!
 They denied it, but SEE .... I have EVIDENCE! And they wonder why Melanie and I devised a plan way back before they started kindergarten to keep them OUT of the same class .... EVER. They literally CANNOT keep quiet when they are together. But nice job boys on the award. We're so proud.
 Some lovely awards and a treat from a very generous person who made a bunch of cupcakes so each graduate could have their own special balloon name tag on their cupcake. Pretty cool.
 This is probably the only NICE picture we got of them all night without a bunch of retakes. See evidence below.




 And FINALLY. I hope the middle school is ready for these two.
 And in other exciting news: London takes after her dad when it comes to devouring the carcasses of dead animals. She was all over Buffalo Wild Wings. Loved it. Dave was beaming with pride. I refused to take a pic of that.

 Fun field trip to the zoo with T.J.
 Austin completed the Order of the Arrow with his friend Ammon for scouting. Don't mind his eyes, he hadn't slept very well and they worked them really hard. He was exhausted. Way to stick it out Aust!
 London was awarded Student of the Month, and I was awarded Employee of the Month on the same day in the same assembly. It's fun to be working at their school ... especially on days like that.
 Jackson had never received the Student of the Month award at Eagle Valley. He's a good student (sometimes talks too much in class) and a good leader but has never got this award. So, the last month of his last year at that school, he informs me that he started "trying" to get Student of the Month and sure enough, he was awarded Student of the Month in the final assembly of the year. Really Jackson? Wow.
 London did a fabulous report on Burkina Faso, Africa.
 Chillin with her friend Hayden on report day.
Royally THUMPING Jackson and the rest of the sixth graders at softball in the sixth grade/faculty game was definitely one of the highlights of my Spring. The score was 10-3. I wasn't planning on playing, but they needed a first base, and those kids were really talking some smack, so I pretty much HAD to play. So I played first base and got out a bunch of 12-year-olds, including some of my Young Women and several of Jackson's friends. Haha. It was AWESOME!! Nothing humbles sixth graders like getting caught out by ME.
 Dr. Suess day was fun.

Hiking the Y for the first time as a family. That is a steep hike! My calves were sore for days. We had a good time.









 And Easter. Love Easter. The one day of the year my kids don't understand what I mean by "Let's take a nice picture." Next time, I'm holding onto the candy til they DO IT!!



3 comments:

Rheanna said...

Love the recap!

Kati said...

Love it! Especially the part about Jackson and Landon. They are too funny.

Melanie said...

Now that was some good reading.