Friday, September 26, 2008

Letting Go

So now you know what London and T.J. do for fun. They swipe a cute little car from some unsuspecting neighbor kid who has left it unattended and off they go down the street as fast as London's little Flintsone feet will carry them. They actually get going pretty fast. Had this been my first or even my second child, I may have stopped this little excursion with something like, "Get down before you break your neck" or "I don't have time for a head wound today." But alas, I have evolved ....

I sat on the porch and read my book and didn't even look up at everyone who drove by and wondered who these poor unattended children were and why their mother wasn't stopping them. Nobody got hurt, and they had a great time. London even graciously slowed down before turning the corner, and T.J. held on with amazing strength and agility. She braked hard a few times, and he slid pretty far forward but held on tight. Way to go T.J. They tried it the other way with London riding on the roof, but she is apparently too lanky and the balance of the whole operation was off. Good thing we don't live at the top of a big hill ....


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Mindy said...

I can relate. I'm much less paranoid than I used to be. Although Brett tells me I’m still way too over-protective. He gets quite annoyed that I won’t let the kids go to school by themselves. I’m working up to it. Once in awhile, I let them come home by themselves. Pathetic, I know. But, hey, at least I’m making progress! :)

Your kids are so stinkin cute. How can you ever get mad at TJ with that adorable smile?!?

Thomas Family said...

I haven't heard from you in a while. Are you still there?

Cassie said...

It's so true...the more kids you have, the less protective you get. I don't think I even go outside with Rylen. I just send one of the other kids. I'm still a little freaked out when he tries to go around the block by himself but other than that, unless there is a huge amount of blood or a broken bone or something, it's just another day at the Balser home.