Thursday, September 11, 2008

Never Forget

I can't believe it has been seven years since "9/11." I can't believe how fresh the memories of that day and that time are in my mind. It is like it just happened. We lived in Draper at the time (two houses and two kids ago), and I remember so well turning on the TV early in the morning for my daily dose of Matt and Katie (a habit that has long since faded ....), and I saw a building on fire. I called to Dave in the bathroom and remember telling him the World Trade Center was on fire. We kind of looked at each other like, "Where is that again?" He was in the bathroom getting ready when I saw the tape of the plane steering into the tower, and I yelled to him that it was a plane. By this time, Dave was already a pilot and I remember him watching that plane and gasping and saying that this was no accident. I didn't believe him. The thought never crossed my mind that we were under attack. We watched that plane over and over flying right into the tower, and Dave just kept saying that it was no accident. I remember the sinking feeling in my stomach when they started reporting on the news that we were under attack. I just felt sick and shocked and scared. Everything felt so unsettled that day.

I remember just wanting to hold my kids. I remember deliberating whether Dave should go to work or not and not wanting him to leave. I remember the TV being on for the next three days straight. I remember all those people on TV holding up pictures of their loved ones and asking if anyone had seen them. I remember people waiting for hours to give blood and scrambling to find ways to help and to give and to serve. The spirit of the American people during that time was amazing. It was like, for once, we were all united as a nation. As tragic as it was, the feeling of unity in this country was amazing, and I've never seen anything like it and sadly, that spirit has faded a bit.

Austin and Jackson had a lot of questions this morning about 9/11 and what it has meant to our country. It is so important to me that they understand what happened and why and what it means to be an American. I want them to understand what a "hero" really is. They had a hard time understanding why terrorists hate America, and for me, it was surprisingly hard to explain. I tried to help them understand that kids just like them who happened to be born on the other side of the world are raised to hate and destroy while at the same time we are trying to teach our children to love and serve.

I was surprised how much the boys knew about 9/11 and the war and our country's security and their interest in the political process going on now. They were shocked that we had a candidate running for President of the United States that has NO PLAN WHATSOEVER on how to keep our country safe from the terrorists who brought upon us one of the greatest tragedies in American history. I guess I'm a little shocked myself. I think the problem is that we've forgotten what it felt like that day. It is like that song:

I hear people saying we don't need this war,
I say there's some things worth fighting for
What about our freedom and this piece of ground?
We didn't get to keep 'em by backing down
They say we don't realize the mess we're getting in
Before you start preaching
Let me ask you this my friend

Have you forgotten how it felt that day
To see your homeland under fire
And her people blown away?
Have you forgotten when those towers fell?
We had neighbors still inside
Going through a living hell
And you say we shouldn't worry 'bout Bin Laden
Have you forgotten?

They took all the footage off my T.V.
Said it's too disturbing for you and me
It'll just breed anger that's what the experts say
If it was up to me I'd show it every day
Some say this country's just out looking for a fight
After 9/11 man I'd have to say that's right

Have you forgotten how it felt that day
To see your homeland under fire
And her people blown away?
Have you forgotten when those towers fell?
We had neighbors still inside
Going through a living hell
And we vowed to get the ones behind Bin Laden
Have you forgotten?

I've been there with the soldiers
Who've gone away to war
And you can bet that they remember
Just what they're fighting for

Have you forgotten all the people killed?
Yes, some went down like heroes in that Pennsylvania field
Have you forgotten about our Pentagon?
All the loved ones that we lost
And those left to carry on
Don't you tell me not to worry 'bout Bin Laden
Have you forgotten?

8 comments:

Kati said...

That was beautiful Lis, thanks so much for writing it. I can't believe it's been that long either. So many memories came flooding back as I read that. Thank you.

Cassie said...

I agree 100%. Although we shouldn't live in fear, we should never, never forget what happened. We need to remember what we felt like that day, and we need to remember the resolve that all of America had when they rallied together against a common enemy. Too many people forget, or want to live in fear and it is hurting our country. I personally think it's good for us to continue to see pictures, etc from 9/11 so that we CAN remember.
Kenny & I are trying to make sure that our kids realize that the freedoms we enjoy are because there are men and women fighting to preserve those freedoms. We are trying to teach them that love of country means showing respect for those who fight for our freedoms as well as exercising our right to vote to maintain those freedoms. I always think about Captain Moroni rallying all of the people with the title of liberty..."...In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children..."

Aaron said...

Amen sister!

God Bless America, I have not forgotten.

I have been reading blogs like this (and wrote one myself) and it makes me glad that there are others that feel like I do.

Mindy said...

It's interesting to hear Dave's perspective as a pilot. I too can remember exactly what I was doing when I heard about the attacks. Something like that never leaves you.

Mindy said...

Who's the cute Incredibles family?

Melissa said...

That is Aaron and Catey Ball's family. I believe Catey made all of those costumes too. It was for Halloween last year.

Big Daddy said...

I have read a number of blogs and such about 9/11 and it always takes me back to the hurt, anger and worry of that day. I was a stock broker and had just finished my training a week earlier in the twin towers. It is sad that we forget so fast. I try to always keep that day in memory lest I loose sight of what the real story behind the world conflicts that are going on.

Big Daddy said...

Great post and all but come on, lets get some new material already.