Sunday, July 27, 2008

Didn't Love It



WARNING - Possible spoiler ahead (and definitely a lot of complaining).
Continue on at your own risk.

Okay, so I realize this may make me a bit of a loser and maybe even an outcast, but I borderline HATED the new Batman movie, and now I'm just trying to figure out how I got so off track from the rest of the free world and pretty much everyone I know. Hmmmm. So, really the only thing that convinced me to see this movie was the fact that Christian Bale is in it, and he has a very cool voice (it is like a Sean Connery sort of thing). Well, much to my dismay, his voice is disguised through pretty much the whole movie. So there goes that ...

So I admit I'm a little uptight when it comes to movies. Mostly because I don't really like science fiction or fantasy, and I strongly dislike nonstop violence from opening scene to ending credits, and that is pretty much what Dark Knight was for me. I think the violence started about 4 minutes into the movie and went on for 2 and a half hours!!! Actually it felt much closer to four hours, but that is a whole different complaint .... moving on. So either they were talking about violence either past or present (via the disgusting way-too-creepy-for-me joker) or there was actual violence being committed. ENOUGH ALREADY! It was dark and creepy and disturbing, and I couldn't sleep when I got home. How annoying.

So I've got to figure out this movie thing because I swear I haven't seen a decent movie in such a long time. We actually got desperate enough a few weeks ago to rent Citizen Kane because we had finally reached the point where we were checking the AFI Top 100 Movies List for some ideas. Scary. Citizen Kane was odd and kind of stupid, but the disc set we rented from Hollywood contained a second disk with a documentary on it called The Battle Over Citizen Kane, and that was really really interesting. Maybe its because I'm a nerd (i.e., history buff), but I really enjoyed how it explained the whole story behind the movie and the history of William Randolph Hearst and Orson Welles. Very interesting. Maybe I should just forget movies and stick with documentaries .... well, let's not get hasty here.

Dave and I couldn't possibly have more different taste in movies. He will pretty much watch anything, unless we slip into Jane Austen kind of stuff, and then he gets a little cranky. He is usually pretty patient with my chick flicks and slow dramas and historical type stuff because he knows that we switch off with movies (i.e., he picks one, I pick one). Which, speaking of that, he granted me five of my picks in a row for not throwing up in the theater or walking out of Dark Knight. So my perseverance paid off after all. He likes pretty much anything fantasy, comedy, action, adventure, or sports related (i.e., Lord of the Rings, Rocky, anything about a super hero, Star Wars, anything about sports, etc.). Actually, we do mostly agree on sports movies (except for boxing, which is lame). We like stuff like Remember the Titans, Rudy, The Rookie, etc. Actually, I can probably count on one hand the movies Dave has not liked since we have known each other. He is slightly "less fussy" than me about most things, apparently including movies.

I prefer drama, comedy, romance, inspirational, sports movies, romantic comedies, anything historical, movies WITHOUT superheroes (although Iron Man was actually pretty good), movies that are NOT FANTASY, movies with little to no "action," and of course, movies with an actual PLOT. Is that too much to ask? So I guess things like National Treasure, A River Runs Through It, Gone With the Wind, Tommy Boy, The Notebook, movies about baseball (really most sports movies - except for boxing), Big Daddy, Hope Floats, Ghost, Pride and Prejudice (the new one), The Devil Wears Prada, Newsies, and a few others. I don't like main characters getting killed off one at a time in slow and gruesome fashion. I don't like long battle or fight scenes that go on for half an hour. What I do like is a meaningful or at least very funny story about a realistic character or maybe an actual event. Imagine that.


So maybe I'm a dork. I'm not too sure. All I know is Dark Knight was definitely not my thing.


6 comments:

Nicki said...

I've heard it's a pretty dark movie. Haven't seen it, but I've heard a lot of people make the same comments as you...This weekend we saw "Good Will Hunting". It's rated R, but we saw the TV version. It was really good if you haven't seen it and could catch an editted version. "August Rush" and "Bucket List" also good...
How are ya?

Krista said...

Yeah, I liked the movie ok, but I wasn't as impressed with Heath Ledger as everyone else. I guess he was amazing if you like creepo's.

And seriously, what is all the hype about Citizen Kane? Ryan and I watched it and I was like, "Huh?" But I guess that would be cool to see the documentary of it!

One last thing, "He is slightly 'less fussy' than me about most things."

AHEM!!

Kelly Hill said...

We're going to see it tonight. I sure hope I'm not disappointed. How could I be with your review?? I'm expecting a horrible movie, so I might just be pleasantly surprised. Shyeah, right!

I was going to recommend both 'Bucket List' and 'August Rush.' We also saw 'PS I Love You' and it was really good (maybe some shady language). Anything Sandra Bullock is good! What about Anne of Green Gables??!? or Sound of Music? That should be safe enough for you.

Paula said...

The worst part for me was the disappearing pencil trick! It didn't show anything, but I have a very vivid imagination.

Kelly Hill said...

Oh.My.Heck!!! We loved the movie! We happen to love fighting though. There were several disturbing images that creeped me out, and we've definitely decided it won't be for our kids to see, but Kendall and I loved loved LOVED it. Sorry to disappoint.

That Bale is a looker!

Leatherwood Family Adventures said...

Sorry Melissa,

I do have to disagree with you. I loved the Movie. Heath Ledger was such an incredible Joker!! He was amazing!! I thougth the writing was Great and the acting was Excellent!!! It was a dark Movie, but it is called "DARK Knight"?? I will say Timmy(10) wasn't able to sleep ALL Night, so definetly not for the Children!!