Monday, August 31, 2009

Where did the time go?

Austin celebrated his 11th birthday on August 11th, so I took the chance to go back and look at some old pictures of my first baby. I can remember so well being pregnant with him, and being sure I would be pregnant forever. I was due on August 4th, and he came a week later after 16 hours of labor and then finally an emergency C-section. I remember when they held him up to show him to me for the first time, and it was so surreal. I just couldn't believe he was mine. He had a bit of a rough start and I didn't actually get to hold him until the next day. I remember the first time I held him, he seemed so heavy! I don't know why I remember that so vividly. He just didn't seem like a newborn. He was 9 pounds 3 ounces and 22 1/4 inches long.

I can remember those first few months so well. Austin had a serious case of colic and cried A LOT. I can remember many frustrating nights and days and a lot of crying from both of us. He was scared of loud noises too. Even a sneeze or a cough or a door shutting would really freak him out, and he'd cry and cry and take forever to calm down. In fact, when I was pregnant with him, the Utah Jazz were in the NBA playoffs (I believe against those stinkin Chicago Bulls) and every time we'd cheer really loud, he'd start kicking like crazy in my stomach. He has always been easily startled I guess.

This picture seems like it was just taken. Where on earth has the time gone?!! This was in 2004. We had just moved into out house in Eagle Mountain, and Austin started kindergarten at Eagle Valley Elementary. We live right across the street from the school, and believe me, the convenience of that location is something I am really grateful for. I sit on my porch swing and watch my kids walk across the street and into the school. I sit there in the afternoons and watch them walk home and then we sit on the swing and talk about their day. I love it. It seems like just yesterday he was off to kindergarten, and I just sent him off to 5th grade a few weeks ago. Crazy.

I'm not exactly sure when this happened. He was a little baby and then a cute little kindergartener, and now he's almost my size (literally, he's 5'1" and I'm 5'4" tall!) and he's out there on the football field plowing over people like it's nothing. What is up with that? It's those Leatherwood genes I'm telling ya. He started football a few weeks ago and after a timid first few days, he got his first "kill" (as Dave calls it) and now it seems he's got a bit of football in his blood. A few days into their first week, he came home and told me he had knocked the wind out of a kid. I was a little taken back since he's normally kind of timid and not too aggressive. Apparently the kid had hit Austin in the previously tackling drill and hurt Austin's shoulder, so Austin (in his words) decided to "make him wish he was never born." That's a little strong, but let's be honest here, he has an insane football fanatic for a father, so this might just be pure genetics. So when they switched places in the drill, Austin tackled the kid and apparently knocked the wind out of him. When I asked Austin if he helped the kid up, he said, "Well, I was going to, but the coaches were all around congratulating me and giving me high 5's, so I couldn't." Nice. He's definitely gaining more confidence, and that's fun to see.

When I asked Austin what kind of cake he wanted, he asked if I could make a tower out of donuts. What kind of a question is that?!! Of course I can take a box of store-bought donuts, and stack them up and stick some candles in. Frankly it was a fun change from the normal decorated birthday cake that I usually buy from Smiths! Hehe!

Austin got Legos, Bionicles, and video games for his presents. He got a little frustrated with his Lego set (maybe because it had about a million little pieces in it) and asked for my help with it. We had a nice time sitting together working on his Star Wars Lego ship, and he was actually impressed with my Lego building skills. Good thing I'm still somewhat "cool" to him ... not sure how long that will last (unless I get better at Mario Kart, cause right now I stink at it). He also got a BYU tie for church that he wears proudly and takes on any Ute fan he can find with pride. He also got a cap gun that he uses to scare away the neighbor kids when they are picking on T.J. ... I haven't heard from their parents yet, but I'm sure I will.

It's fun to see Austin grow up, even though it makes me feel old that I have an 11-year-old. As goofy as it sounds, time really does go by way too fast. I'm excited for what these next few years bring for Austin. It's a crazy world he's growing up in and it's hard to not protect him as much as I want to. He's got a tender heart that is a great example to me. When he was a baby, I used to always sing him the song "You are my sunshine" when he was falling asleep, and since then I've always called him my "sunshine." He has always been able to brighten my day and make me smile. That will never change. Happy Birthday Austin!

2 comments:

K'neth S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Big Daddy said...

Congrats on being 11 kid. To bad you are not in our ward, I would be your scout leader. Maybe you can talk your parents into that house across the street from us.