Thursday, July 23, 2009

So I guess I'm 33 now

Last month was my 33rd birthday. It feels a little silly to blog about my own birthday, but being the devoted blogger than I am, skipping a birthday just doesn't seem right.

The picture above is my favorite picture from my birthday. Dave had already promised to get me a road bike for my birthday, but he wanted the kids to get me something. So he took them shopping, and this is what they came home with. I have been wanting some new hand weights. My 10-pounders are too wussy (especially if I'm going to beat Mary in an arm wrestle), so I made the jump to 20 pounds. We'll see how that goes ... Anyway, Dave wanted me to hold one of the weights up for the picture, and we just happened to catch Austin's expression along with it. Too funny.

After lunch at the Harley Davidson cafe in Orem, Dave took me shopping for a new road bike for my birthday. I'd been researching the Fezzari brand and found one in our price range with all the components I wanted. Yeah! The bike is amazing. I love it!

And why does Dave look so happy you ask? He got a new bike too. I'm not sure how that works - he gets a new bike on my birthday. Hmmm. Interesting. He kept reminding me that it was Father's Day just the week before, and of course, I reminded him that I got him a new mitt for Father's Day. Whatever hon. I guess that's what I get for signing him up for a 111-mile bike ride while he's at work. Ha ha!

We've had a lot of fun riding together. For our date night last week, we rode up the Jordan River Parkway and got side tracked onto a golf course at 10:00 at night. The golf course was closed and we rode around all over on the trails, and then the sprinklers came on. It was a lot of fun!

Anyway, the 111-mile ULCER (Utah Lake Century Epic Ride) is in two weeks, so Dave, Paula, and I have been training like crazy. The ride starts at Thanksgiving Point at 7:00 a.m. and we'll ride all the way around Utah Lake and back up to Thanksgiving Point (the course map link is below). It's on August 8th. At an average of 15 miles an hour, that's between 7 and 8 hours on the bike, and it could easily be over 90 degrees. Woah. Wish us luck!


View Interactive Map on MapMyRide.com

8 comments:

Thomas Family said...

Wow, I forget how young you are. But, happy birthday!!

You are looking so skinny. I wish I could find a sport that I love like you have. I love my bike, but hate riding it in the heat...fall and spring only. Anyway, your new bike looks way cool!

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

Thanks Sharon! I think I'm loving my bike a little too much. I get cranky when I can't ride for a few days. Ha ha!

Kelly Hill said...

Happy Birthday. Happy Riding. Happy New Bike and Weights!!

Happy, Happy.

You go girl.....

K'neth S. said...

I'm going to comment for the yellowstone post as well, to save time and effort. Your trip look like a lot of fun. we were going to go a couple weeks ago, but the weather ran us off. Happy Birthday though. 20 lbs is impressive, but not like my 30lbs. anyway, whats with all you women gettting into wightlifting, my mom, sister anderson, who else? goodluck on the ULCER!

Nicki said...

You're 33, but you're still hot! That's what matters, right? You are a rock star! 111 miles in the summer heat! You look great.

Katelin said...

111 miles? I think that merits repeating. 111 miles? Unreal. Did you just put that in to make 33 sound like nothing? JK!! Happy Bday, and wow. Maybe I need to try this biking thing. So cool.

And that picture is too funny.

JBarker said...

111 miles!?!?! Hmmm. I've always thought a car was faster. And there are other pluses to using an automobile: temperature control, bug defense, bigger seats with a backrest, killer sound system, etc.

I rode 11 miles (just for fun) last Saturday. I can't imagine riding that distance 10 times in one day! They should find some words to spell out INSANITY instead of ULCER. 111 miles is an amazing feat! Good luck to you both!