Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Lagoon With the Fam

Back at the end of the summer, we went to Lagoon with the Morton's. The above picture is our theme for the day. It represents the countless times I talked Melanie into going on a ride with multiple little people so I never had to spin, turn, rotate, free fall, or go fast on anything at Lagoon. Yeah for me. Don't let her facial expression fool you. She loved it.

It's fair to say I'm not much of an amusement park person. I've NEVER really liked rides. I can tolerate some things, but as a kid I HATED everything about amusement parks. At least now, I've learned to enjoy sipping Diet Coke and eating popcorn and ice cream all day while waving at the kiddos on the kiddie rides. Trust me, I'll do anything to avoid RIDES. Yuck.

You know, I come by this hatred honestly. I was "strongly encouraged" to ride a tilt-a-whirl at Knotts Berry Farm as a kid. Yeah. Bad idea. I threw up and then passed out and some helpful bystander got the ice out of her sticky Coke to rub on my forehead. Is this a cure for fainting/vomiting I'm not aware of?!! Ugh. Fast forward 20 years. Dave talked me into WAY too many ridiculous rides at Six Flags in Wisconsin. I only remember the first half of the Batman ride. Then I remember Dave and the ride attendant nervously trying to bring me back to consciousness. Nice hon. Seriously, rides are NOT my thing. Problem is, Dave LOVES amusement parks, so we compromise. I'm a good sport (kind of) until said vomiting/fainting presents itself at which point Dave lets me off the hook. Fortunately for him, he had Austin, Jackson, Colby, and Landon to entertain him so I didn't have to. Kiddieland here I come. The kids (and Dave) had a great time and that is ONE thing I do like about it. Yeah Lagoon. Enjoy the pics.




One of these days, one or both of us will remember to remove our sunglasses BEFORE a picture is taken.







Grandma did her share of barf-mobile rides with the kids. She happens to love things that spin. I'm not sure how we're even related.


12 comments:

Rheanna said...

I had NO idea you had such a strong opinion on amusement park rides! How on earth do you go to Disneyland all the time!?!

Melissa said...

Haha! I should probably clarify that a bit more. Disneyland is about the experience for me. I can handle a ride that's barely moving! I do love seeing the kids (and Dave) have fun. That's the only way it's tolerable!

Celeste said...

Since about 25 or so, I've lost my interest in amusement parks as well, though I've never had any fainting experiences that encouraged it. I, too, just like to hang out and watch Greg and Hannah enjoy the rides. BUT then there are times when my mom is with us. I'm her automatic partner in such cases...off I go on all the "make-me-want-to-barf" rides...YUCK!! BUT I do have to say that I LOVE roller coasters...ALL roller coasters!! No sitting out on those puppies!! :)

Steph said...

I'm right there with ya! I like nothing about roller coasters! Not even Disneyland...my fun is also watching Greg & the kids!

Paula said...

I love rides! I can't ride on any that spin, and I need some time to rest in between each ride, but I'm a huge fan. And if you didn't go on WICKED while at Lagoon you missed out. Bret, however, can't handle the train ride at the zoo.

I also thought I should mention that your mom looks cute in hats too. I'm annoyed I can't wear them. Ugh

Kati said...

So fun!! I haven't been to Lagoon in 9 years, so I am jealous!!! And I need me some Disneyland...

Melanie said...

Ummm-- I love rides, except the spinning things, but I was coerced on so many that day with the promise of a funnel cake with strawberries. . . . still waiting!

JBarker said...

I take it you've not tried the Tower of Terror ride at California Adventure then. That's too bad. It's a great way to experience the feeling of free fall in a controlled environment. It shoots you up several stories, pauses, opens the doors so you can see out over the amusement park, and then you free fall most of the way back down! ...and it repeats that several times. What fun!

Actually, I get the whole "rides suck" sentiment. We took the kids to Disneyland/California Adventure about 5 years ago and put Belle and Isaac on the Tower or Terror ride as the first ride for the first day of the trip. What a bad idea. After the ride was over, little Isaac of 4 years-old looked up at me with this horrifically stunned look on his face that said, "I can't believe my dad made me ride this ride." I felt like a bad dad. It ruined the rest of the trip for them.

Katelin said...

That looks like a ton of fun! I love rides, although I don't seem to be able to handle them as well as I used to. Sigh, we miss out on way too much family fun by being out here!!

Marion said...

I use to love rides but the last time I went to Trafalga I got sick on their dinky airplane ride.

I'm hoping that's not a sign for what's to come when I try out a real amusement park.

I think we can get you to go anywhere that has diet coke hahaha.

Ruth Done said...

Oh Lagoon! I worked there for like 20 minutes once. It's one of the greatest places to "people watch", so leave those sun glasses on!

Big Daddy said...

Im not a barfer on the roller coaster but I still don't like them. I would prefer to be thrust into the back of my seat while holding onto a stearing wheel.

I have never been to lagoon and probably never will. Lisa is as bad or worse with roller coasters then you are.