Thursday, January 15, 2009

Something to look forward to


When I got in the car to take T.J. to prechool this morning, the thermometer said 5 degrees, so I thought this would be an appropriate post for today. I am not allowed to complain about the weather on this blog becuase two of my brothers and their families live in Wisconsin where the high temperature today is going to be -5 degrees with a wind chill well below that. So, I won't complain, but ... it seems we are probably about halfway through Winter which is a good time to start looking forward to summer if you ask me.

This past summer, Melanie had the great idea to set aside one day each week for swimming. We chose Wednesday and off we went. Every week we went swimming and we didn't get a pass anywhere, so we tried out a bunch of different pools (American Fork, Pleasant Grove, Scera). If you remember gas prices last summer and the cost of admitting 11 people to the pool every week, it started to get a little pricey, but we had a great time. It turns out my kids will actually swim for four or five hours and then I still have to drag them out of the pool kicking and screaming.

About halfway through the summer, we started going to the Camp Williams Pool (thanks Monica!) and I think my kids liked this pool the best. It was almost never crowded and some weeks, we had the pool all to ourselves. It was so much fun, and my kids have been asking for a few month when we are going back, and I find myself thinking of a nice relaxing day at the pool. I'm just a summer sort of girl I guess. I really probably belong in St. George or Arizona or some other deathly warm place. I just love the heat and the sun.



We had an end-of-summer family party Labor Day Weekend and the dads got to come. So these pictures are of James and Dave playing a little game they like to call "Kid Basketball." They started off by finding the two most willing kids who also have to be light-weights (in this case, London and Jared) and started throwing them up in the air and tossing them around in the pool. Then they had to make it more challenging by creating obstacles to their little game. They put out water noodles to see if they could throw the kids past them. And then of course, they got out the tubes and started trying to land the kids in (or through) the tubes, hence the name, Kid Basketball.



I know what you are thinking, and no they (James and Dave) were not unattended and left to their own devices at the time. Monica, Lisa, Melanie, and I were all standing nearby, and in fact, I believe we were the ones taking pictures. I remember being surprised at how high the kids were going, but I might have not realized they were going this high.



The kids loved it of course. The older kids all stood around and egged them on, and London and Jared kept coming back for more. If you look closely, you can see the big smiles on James and Dave, and I think we know who was having the real fun here ... they were pretty proud of themselves if I recall.

I suppose I can survive a little more winter if I know I have this to look forward to.



12 comments:

Greg said...

That is one great thing about being back in Utah for the winter - no humidity or sub-zero weather. I hated the wind chill in Chicago. I feel for your brothers . . .

Thomas Family said...

Ah, you gals have all the good ideas. It is probably a blast being your kids. What a great tradition. So, are you going to buy a pass anywhere this year, or just go to Camp Williams, or do the same as last year?

K'neth S. said...

Sounded fun. I didn't go to any of the swimming activities. But i look forward to summer. We lived in Arizona, so moving here was cold blast of reality, litterally.

Nicki said...

Thanks for the sympathy for us Wisconsin-ites. This weather is awful. Sadie's had the pukes all week, so between that and the weather I'm ready for an all-inclusive trip that we couldn't begin to pay for. I only walked outside today to take out the garbage. We are so stir crazy. When they watch it all day, three days in a row, kids really do get sick of TV. Who knew? Jake's response? We need a Wii!

Leatherwood Family Adventures said...

Well I guess I shouldn't mention what the weather has been down here this week...60's...I have been going on bike rides with the kids in my shorts and t-shirt...did I mention it is really nice and warm during the day??? I am rubbing it in?? I guess you should talk Dave into moving down here!! LOL Love you guys....

Kati said...

While swimming is awesome, snow is still the coolest!! St. George and Arizona?? Ew!! Heat= lethargy and skin cancer. Well, maybe just for us redheads... You've always been a summer girl, you must be going crazy right about now!

JBarker said...

After 15 years of summer highs around 120 degrees in Las Vegas and no real winter, I'm happy to say that this area of Utah suits me just fine! Four seasons is the best!!! You can throw kids around in the snow just as easily as you can in the pool. And snowballs are just as much fun as water balloons.

Katelin's family said...

Ah, you're post makes me feel just a tiny bit warmer. Teeny tiny, but still, I'll have to start remembering the feeling of getting into a HOT car in the summer or baking by the pool, and then maybe the feeling will return to my fingers! I foolishly decided to run into the grocery store yesterday for a couple things and after getting the kids buckled and the three bags into the car, I think I almost had frostbite. My fingers hurt for like 3 hours. I've got to get out of here!!

Big Daddy said...

Who the heck is the bald guy with the farmer tan. Someone should let him know what he looks like in a bathing suit!

I have been waiting to see who won the kid throwing contest and I hate to admit it but Dave blew me out.

Mindy said...

No wonder you were so tan! I can hardly remember what warm weather feels like. Last night I slept with a sweatshirt over my pajamas and heavy socks and I was still cold!

Angie said...

Great pictures! I am ready for the warmer weather too! Arizona is great for the winter time (although John disagrees, he thinks the snow is funner!) I think it's fun for a day or two . . .

Cassie said...

Spring can't get here soon enough!